Thursday 9 July 2015

Alley Kat's Lemon Hefeweizen

Alewife Anne sez:
Hello, and welcome to the first posting of Two Women, One Beer

The Hoppy Hippie and I decided our first review would be from a brewery right here in town, Alley Kat. You'll be seeing more of their products here, because these guys and gals consistently turn out a plethora of flavours that challenge and delight the palette.

Lots of clove, not a lot of lemon
Alley Kat Lemon Heifweizen
Alley Kat's Lemon Heifeweizen  comes in a big ol' 650 mL bottle of tasty 4.9 % apv goodness. Under the bottle cap is written, "Yipee!" which is no understatement. This is a golden blond brew, opaque and cloudy, which is typical of its type, which is often unfiltered. The head formed a lovely snowy froth on the surface, and the first sniff was of cloves. Again, typical of a hefeweizen, but I like these "white" beers, so I was intrigued. I was expecting more of a lemon flavour, but it remained quite subtle--cloves and spice remain the top notes of this beer. If you want more lemon, add a slice or two; otherwise, enjoy the citrus as it slowly matures in the finish.

I found this to be a highly appealing, refreshing beer that captures the best of its breed. If you're looking for a big lemon hit, you won't find it here. It remains quite subtle, but I like that. After all, this ain't no lambic.

This lovely lemon hefeweizen gets 3.5 hop cones out of five!

The Hoppy Hippie sez:
Coming in from your local Edmonton Brewery in a 650 ml bottle, the Lemon Hefeweizen is self-described as “Cloudy With a Chance of Lemon.” As one of Alley Kat’s limited runs for 2015, it gives a bit of bite but not a lot of punch. Don’t get me wrong  - it’s a good beer, but I think “with a chance of lemon” is a fine descriptor for it. Its heavy on the cloves, and the citrus flavor I was assuming would be there as little more than a chance is few and far between. 4th sip. Rumor says it also contains hints of banana. 5th sip. The cloves are starting to diminish slightly and the fruity flavors are settling. Interesting. Not sure if the lemon is really there but I can taste banana now that I’m thinking about banana. I’m giving it more than a “meh” for sure, but it’s not overly anything special. Not memorable. I won’t consciously buy it again, but I’d drink it over other mediocre beers. And as always, don’t forget to look under the cap of all your Alley Kat beers. Each cap comes with its own magic 8 ball answer. My cap reads “Definitely.” But I’m not telling you what I asked it. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Not having access to the Alberta local beers, I think I will need to tempt you both with reviews of some of our locals as a response. Where possible, will clink a glass or two over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, we can finally get Gahan House brews out here, and i'm looking forward to doing a review of those sometime in the future. The Atlantic provinces make some fine beers too, so be sure to keep us in the loop.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Vicki! I think we're up to the challenge! Any favorites in mind?

    ReplyDelete