Monday 13 July 2015

Duchesse de Burgogne by Br. Verhaege Vichte

Alewife Anne sez:

La Duchesse
Duchesse de Bourgogne translates out of Flemish as the Duchess of Burgundy. Burgundy--as well as a province in northern France--is a famous wine. And so it is an incredibly suitable name for this remarkable little beer.

As you can see in the photo above, La Duchesse is a red head, almost porter black, with a lacy off-white foam that rapidly dissipates. The first sniff hints at wine. Then the oak slowly opens up.

This is precisely the order in which the beer reveals itself on the palette. The first mouthful is assertively cidery, one could say that vinegar is the top note. And this continues on until the beer leisurely mellows, like a stroll in the castle garden. One begins to taste oak casks and dark viscous berries, and the wine character so prevalent in the first few sips matures into dryness. The hops are never anything more than a mere suggestion. 

This is easily one of the most unique and flavourful beers I have ever enjoyed. This is why the Belgians and the Flemish are widely considered some of the premier brewers in both the medieval and modern world. La Duchesse is assertive but lively. She is unlike any other, and I look forward to conversing with her again in the near future.

4.5 hop cones out of 5.

The Hoppy Hippie sez:
6.2% Strong Beer from Belgium. I’ve passed this single bottle over on the shelves of specialty beer shops many a time. No reason really. The picture reminds me of the Girl with the Pearl Earring – clearly no relation, but I felt like mentioning it.

First I thought it was caramel I was smelling. Nope. Now it’s a mix of molasses and that port I accidentally drank quickly when I thought it was a Merlot. Cause you know, drinking Merlot quickly is acceptable?? I’m also getting hints of balsamic? What’s happening?
Cheers.

Sip.

WHOA. Ok I don’t know what happened there but I was not expecting that. It’s seemingly very carbonated – more so than what I normally like, but damn is this good!

It’s a reddish amber color with a thin head that diminishes fairly quickly. Notes of balsamic - I still get the molasses. Sour though.

It tastes like the happiness you would get while wearing warm and fuzzy mittens in Canmore.

Not a summer beer for me – but an every other season in Canada beer for sure.
This is exceptional. Where has this been all my life? Or...since the legal age of 18 of course…

I give it a rating way higher than a “meh” and would even raise that to a “seriously – you have to try this.”  

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment